Skip to main content

Hofner Colorama II restoration project part 15 making a new nut


The old nut on our Hofner Colorama II was in a terrible state. It was too shallow and had a piece of card underneath it in order to raise it up. Additionally the bottom was not flat.

Here it is:




I have no reason to trust this nut at all, so I'm not going to use it as a template for the new one.

So here I am sanding a new piece of bone down to the right thickness using a piece of coarse sandpaper set on a flat surface:



Then cutting the bone to length:



Here I’m checking it fits nicely into the nut slot:



Before I can continue, I need to make up a new half pencil, since I appear to have misplaced my old one.

So we take a normal pencil:



Slice it down the middle (watch your fingers):



Superglue the lead into place (optional, but I find it a good idea, since there’s nothing really holding the lead in place at this stage):



Remove superglued finger from pencil (again, optional):



Sand pencil flat:




And then I usually put some Sellotape (Scotch tape) along the bottom of the pencil to stop from getting carbon all over everything.

Next I draw a line along the new nut, using the frets as a guide:



I like to then draw a second line a little higher as a kind of secondary guide, so I fit something nice and slim under the pencil and draw another line, as follows:



Then I sand the nut down to very close to the higher line:


Mark the position of the slots using my nut slot guide template thingy:



Then file the nut slots using nut files. I file down to somewhere between the two lines, trying to make sure I end up with the same distance from the BOTTOM of the slots to the lower line. Also I file at a slight downward angle so that the slots will be lower at the end closer to the tuners. This ensures that the strings make contact at the very front of the nut.



The idea is to get them as close as possible to the lower line without going over. Once you do that, you’ve gone too far. I prefer a little bit of a buffer, since I can always remove more material from the bottom of the nut if it’s too high, but once I go too low, it’s time to make a new nut.

I then round off the back of the nut a little and polish it up using various grades of sandpaper. And here’s the final result:



Compared to the old nut, I’m sure you’ll agree it’s a bit of an improvement:


Comments

  1. Grand National Bingo 2021 | Top Casino Games in UK - Mapyro
    Grand National Bingo 2021 is the latest slot game to hit the casino shelves in the UK. Players can 동해 출장안마 experience the game for 문경 출장샵 free 춘천 출장샵 and bet 용인 출장마사지 on 남원 출장안마 any

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 Channels Audio Splitter Amplifier Circuit Diagram using TL084

This is the schematic diagram of 3 channels audio splitter amplifier circuit which built using op-amp IC TL084. The 3 channels amplifier output distribution applies a single TL084.   3 Channels Audio Splitter Amplifier Circuit Diagram The very first step is to capacitive coupling having a p. 1.0 ~ electrolytic capacitor. The entries are railways Vee Y2 or 4.5 V. This enables working with an individual 9V power source. A voltage gain of 10 (1 M?/100 Kohm) is obtained in the first stage, as well as the other three floors are connected as a unity gain voltage followers. Every single output stage drives independently through an amplifier output 50 pF capacitor towards the resistance of 5.1 k ohm load. The response range is flat from 10 Hz to 30 kHz.

A basic Arduino Solar PV Monitor

I have just recently had solar pv installed, mainly to future proof my energy costs, I do not expect it to be like drilling for oil in my back garden, however the return looks to be encouraging. The install gives you another single unit meter, from this you will see the total amount the panels produce, but that is about it. I wanted to know how much the production was as it was happening, I discovered the light blinks on the front of the meter will flash 1000 times for each kWh of electricity which passes through. The rate of the flashing of the LED tells you how much power is currently passing through the meter. [ ]

Simple Automatic Street Light

There have been lot of problems in street lights. Major problem in some places is every evening a person has to come and switch ON the street light and it should be again switched off in morning. Yes, this may not be the situation in everywhere but exists in many places. So this problem can be overcome by using a simple circuit. Below shown circuit will be automatically switched ON and OFF during night and morning times respectively. Circuit diagram : Simple Automatic street light Circuit Diagram In above circuit R1 can be used to adjust the sensitivity. And the working of the circuit is very simple. The LDR will have very low resistance during day time so the transistor Q1 will be in OFF condition. And during night time the resistance will be very high so automatically the transistor Q1 will be ON. The Q1 is PNP transistor and the emitter of Q1 is given to base of Q2. So the Q2 transistor will be ON only if the transistor Q1 is ON. The TRIAC is used in the circuit to make is circ...