Skip to main content

Hofner Colorama II restoration project part 13 finishing the neck


Our vintage Hofner Colorama II guitar neck was initially lacquered about two months ago. Since then, after a month, it was sanded back a little and a few more layers of lacquer were applied.

There is now enough thickness to consider finishing this, but before doing so, we need to deal with a couple of pesky areas where the lacquer ran.

This is what I’m talking about:



There are several ways to tackle this, but I’m going to do it with a razor. Here you can see me (very carefully) scraping the surplus lacquer off, one thin layer at a time. The razor needs to be held extremely level here, otherwise one of the corners will dig into the finish where you don’t want it. You can add a little bit of tape to each end of the razor to minimise this risk, but I prefer to just be careful.



Here’s how it looks after removing the unwanted material.



Now we’re ready to give the whole neck a final sanding. I’m wet sanding this with 1200 grit sandpaper. You could get a little more aggressive with this, using 800 or maybe even 400 grit paper, but I noticed even the 1200 grit paper was starting to sand through to the decal pretty quickly, so I didn’t want to push it.




This is pretty much how it looks after the wet sanding. It looks like it’s gone through to the wood, but it hasn’t:




Next, rubbing compound is rubbed into the neck to polish up the remaining lacquer:



And this is how it looks after polishing:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Channels Audio Splitter Amplifier Circuit Diagram using TL084

This is the schematic diagram of 3 channels audio splitter amplifier circuit which built using op-amp IC TL084. The 3 channels amplifier output distribution applies a single TL084.   3 Channels Audio Splitter Amplifier Circuit Diagram The very first step is to capacitive coupling having a p. 1.0 ~ electrolytic capacitor. The entries are railways Vee Y2 or 4.5 V. This enables working with an individual 9V power source. A voltage gain of 10 (1 M?/100 Kohm) is obtained in the first stage, as well as the other three floors are connected as a unity gain voltage followers. Every single output stage drives independently through an amplifier output 50 pF capacitor towards the resistance of 5.1 k ohm load. The response range is flat from 10 Hz to 30 kHz.

A basic Arduino Solar PV Monitor

I have just recently had solar pv installed, mainly to future proof my energy costs, I do not expect it to be like drilling for oil in my back garden, however the return looks to be encouraging. The install gives you another single unit meter, from this you will see the total amount the panels produce, but that is about it. I wanted to know how much the production was as it was happening, I discovered the light blinks on the front of the meter will flash 1000 times for each kWh of electricity which passes through. The rate of the flashing of the LED tells you how much power is currently passing through the meter. [ ]

RF amplifier protection

RF amplifier protection I have developed the protection circuit for the EB104 amplifier I am working on, after I finally had some time to design and test a few models. The main requirements have been: - protection in case of high temperature; - protection in case of high SWR; - protection in case of wrong output filter selection; - simple design (i’m a fan of the whole K.I.S.S. rule of thought), able to work in strong electromagnetic fields, reliable, inexpensive. Because i will be using the same directional coupler i have used in the SWR meter (the one made on PCB) wich is directly influenced by the signal frequency, and because i want full HF coverage, i cannot just measure the reflected signal and make a circuit cut the amplifier when it goes over a limit; on 28Mhz the coupler generates roughly 4 times more voltage that let’s say in 7Mhz. So a system that compares direct and reflected signal and triggers when the latter is percentually too high was needed, therefore an operational a...